Fault descriptions

RMP 210, 220, 440LE, 440SE, 440 Omni
bch36

Fault descriptions

Post by bch36 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Is there a list of fault descriptions somewhere? Or is it expected that we'll simply post the fault logs on the forums here for interpretation?

Our 440 has been having an issue where the power-follows-USB doesn't work. If a powered USB line is plugged into the platform while the power switch is in the "off" state, the red light immediately begins flashing. If the Segway is powered on first, and then the powered USB line is plugged in, it works okay.

I'm attaching two logs, containing a small variety of faults. If someone at Segway wouldn't mind explaining each of them, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Ben Hardin
Last edited by bch36 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdnalloh

Re: Fault descriptions

Post by sdnalloh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

There are descriptions of the most common faults in the User Manual. Please refer to the Troubleshooting section.

Any faults not listed there should be extremely rare and will likely require analysis by Segway.

Also note that faults often cascade, so that one fault causes other faults to be triggered as well. In those cases it is important to determine the root cause of the cascade.

bch36

Post by bch36 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the information. The most troubling fault is probably COMM_FAULT_UIP_BAD_CHECKSUM. If I could get a confirmation that attempting to flash the firmware again is probably the best solution, I'll try that. Our Segway works, with the only quirk being that power-following-USB doesn't seem to work properly, but perhaps that is due to the "ARCHITECT_FAULT_KILL_SWITCH_ACTIVE" fault?

sdnalloh

Post by sdnalloh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Ben,

I suspect that your analysis is correct, however I don't see the faultlogs that you uploaded.

After going to "Upload attachment" and choosing your file, you must click "Add the file" for the file to upload.
You can then choose to place it inline (where the cursor is currently located) or allow it to be included at the bottom of the post.
When you preview your post, you should see the attachment as a download-able file.

bch36

Post by bch36 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Sorry about the missing attachment, I pretend like I know how to computer, but sometimes my facade cracks. I updated the firmware to 1232/1277, re-ran the scenario, and properly attached the faultlog this time.

A little more explanation about the faultlog in the zipfile (there's just one now).

I started by power cycling the vehicle a handful of times. This is the gap between power cycle 437 (fault 12) and power cycle 444 (fault 13) where no faults occur.

After that, with the vehicle power switch toggled off (e-stop not engaged), I inserted the USB cable into my computer. The power light immediately started flashing red, and fault 13 occurred: ARCHITECT_FAULT_KILL_SWITCH_ACTIVE.

I then removed the USB cable, powered the Segway up normally (power cycle 445), extracted the fault log, and verified that the previously mentioned fault 13 had occurred. I then toggled off the vehicle power switch, while leaving the USB cable plugged in.

The power light again started flashing red, and faults 14 and 15 appeared in the fault log:
MCU_FAULT_MCU_0_IS_FAILED
MCU_MOTOR_DRIVE_FAULT
MCU_MOTOR_DRIVE_AMP_ENABLE_FAULT

MCU_FAULT_MCU_0_IS_FAILED
MCU_FAULT_MCU_1_IS_FAILED
MCU_MOTOR_DRIVE_FAULT
MCU_MOTOR_DRIVE_AMP_ENABLE_FAULT

Any help that could be given in explaining these faults would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sdnalloh

Post by sdnalloh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm

I was able to re-create the issue on a similar machine (440 w/o brakes) using the latest pre-release firmware. When attempting to power on the RMP using a powered USB plug, the Power LED flashed red and the RMP never powered on.

The firmware release you have installed has been undergoing pre-release testing and this situation had not yet been detected. We will remedy this problem and incorporate it into the next release. Meanwhile, if the previous firmware release was working well for you, I suggest you re-install it.

Edit: the issue I had was due to a long USB cable. After reviewing the faultlog, I was able to confirm that there were no MCU faults. Connecting with a shorter USB cable worked perfectly and the RMP started up normally.

-Greg

bch36

Post by bch36 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks for checking into this, Greg. Our previous firmware didn't work either, which is why I tried upgrading to the newest pre-release firmware.

sdnalloh

Post by sdnalloh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am

Just to confirm, does the RMP operate correctly when powered ON via the switch?

-Greg

phussey

Post by phussey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 am

The issue is due to a pre-production hardware limitation. Based on the serial number in your faultlog you have an AA revision CCU (production is AB). Because of this the kill switch isolators require 12V, instead of 5V. USB only provides 5V and therefor you are getting the MCU_MOTOR_DRIVE_AMP_ENABLE_FAULT because the kill inputs to the MCU are not closed at startup (there is no 12V).

There is no work around for this with rev AA hardware aside from booting the system from 12V before connecting USB.
PATRICK HUSSEY
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC
www.stanleyinnovation.com

bch36

Post by bch36 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Perfect, Patrick, that's exactly what we needed to know. Thanks to you and Greg for looking into this! I have another potential issue, but I'll start a new thread.