Can I change the batteries?

RMP 210, 220, 440LE, 440SE, 440 Omni
luca.lucci

Can I change the batteries?

Post by luca.lucci » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 am

Hello,
I'm working with an RMP 440 LE and I need to change the batteries with somethings else that I've developed. I saw that there's a board under OCU that control the central battery (ABB board, I suppose).

What type of protocol I have to use to communicate with the ABB board from my battery? SMB bus?
Can I power the ABB board and the OCU with 12V?

At limit, there's something that I can do to disable the battery control from ABB board?

Thank you

Luca

Craig

Re: Can I change the batteries?

Post by Craig » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi,

The protocol that the ABB (Aux Battery Board) uses to talk to the Aux Battery is proprietary. If you want to replace the Segway battery which is used to power the Vicor adapter boards then I would suggest you build your own "battery interface board" and communicate with it independent of the Centralized Controller.

The RMP will function without the ABB. You will of course have to bypass the function of the power on/off switch and figure out a way to supply +12V to the Centralized Controller but the system will not fault if communication is never established with the ABB.

If the ABB is not present at start-up the system will assume it doesn't have and ABB and will function normally.

Craig
Craig Shaffer
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC
www.stanleyinnovation.com

luca.lucci

Post by luca.lucci » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Craig,
thank you for reply. This mean that I can't change the motor's battery due to the proprietary protocol, right? Is there nothing that I can do?

Luca

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Currently the system must have the Segway propulsion battery in place to function properly. There is no way you can run the machine without the propulsion battery in place.

We can quote custom development work. Please contact customer service with a detailed request to get that process started.

Craig
Craig Shaffer
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC
www.stanleyinnovation.com