Charging the RMP X440

RMP 210, 220, 440LE, 440SE, 440 Omni
UrosPuc

Charging the RMP X440

Post by UrosPuc » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am

Hi,
I have one problem regarding the charging of the RMP X440. The level of AUX battery dropped below 5 %, whereas the level of the 4 propulsion batteries is still around 64 %. When I power up the RMP, it does an instantaneous shut down, because the level of the AUX battery is too low. When I connect the AC charger, the RMP does not charge, probably because the level of propulsion batteries is still OK. How can I charge now the RMP?

Another question is how can I fully charge the batteries if they are not discharged enough for the AC charging process?

Thank you!

Craig

Re: Charging the RMP X440

Post by Craig » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi,

The auxiliary battery and the propulsion batteries use independent charge circuits so the charge status of one battery will not affect the others.

How do you know its not charging? What color lights are you getting on the front panel? Given the states of charge you indicated I would expect you to get 5 solid green lights indicating that all the batteries are in full charge mode.

Once we know the status of the front panel lights we can help you further.

Craig
Craig Shaffer
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC
www.stanleyinnovation.com

UrosPuc

Post by UrosPuc » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you for your reply!

It is not charging because the LEDs on the front panel are not green when the AC power is connected. They are off and there is no sign of charging the AUX or propulsion batteries (the RMP was connected to the AC power all night).

I tied before fully charge the RMP when the power level of both AUX and propulsion batteries was still more than 60 % and the situation was the same - it is not charging and all 5 LEDs are turned off when the AC power is connected. Later, when the batteries were fully discharged, the charging process worked normally. I suppose that now the problem lies in the fully discharged AUX battery and partly discharged but still OK propulsion batteries.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Uros

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:20 pm

The problem is that the chargers are not consistently getting power. Based on the fact that it worked at one point I would look for an intermittent connection between the AC wall and the platform.

You need to verify the connection between the wall and the chargers. Based on the fact that you are not getting any LED's I can assure you that the chargers are not receiving the proper voltage of 90-240VAC 50/60 Hz. If there is a problem with the batteries the chargers will indicate a solid red led for each battery.

Have you created a custom cable or are you using our standard AC wall cable?

Can you try a different wall plug? Try moving the AC wire while the RMP is connected to the wall.

WITH THE PLATFORM UNPLUGGED. You could use an OHM meter to verify continuity between each of the AC mains connectors and one of the three pins on the white plugs which plug into the chargers. This would assure you that you had a good connection between the plug and the chargers. This would require you to open the cover of the platform I would suggest you remove the Auxiliary battery BEFORE you remove the cover.

Craig
Craig Shaffer
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC

UrosPuc

Post by UrosPuc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 am

Dear Craig,

The connection between the wall and the chargers is OK. I double checked it and the chargers are receiving the correct AC voltage. Also the LEDs on the front panel are always off when I plug the AC cord.

I have created a custom cable for EU market, the shipped one was for US outlets. It is working OK.

I also checked with OHM meter all the connections as you suggested and everything looks fine.

I still believe that the cause is the charge level of the batteries. The AUX is discharged below 5 % and the propulsion are still at 64 %. Right now it is the only logical explanation. When the propulsion batteries were discharged the charging worked normally, but in this situation as described, there is no sign of life. Could you please check with your engineers if there is any program/condition that is preventing the charging? Any other suggestion?

Uros

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Uros,

I am the lead electrical engineer for the RMP program. I am also Segway's lead for the battery development.

Let me give you some background:
In normal operation if the charger is powered up by the AC mains voltage and if there is no battery present there will be two red indicators displayed (One for each channel). If the battery has any kind of fault or fails to wake up and talk to the charger the indicators will remain red. Only if the batteries are accepting charge will the indicator turn green. When the batteries are done charging the indicator will flash as the battery regulates the current.

Summary:
If you don't see any indicators from the chargers then the internal power supply inside the chargers is not working. This can be caused by either damage to the charger or the lack of a proper mains supply.

Ideas:
It's extremely rare that the charger fails under normal operation. I have two directions I think we should investigate.

1.) The chargers are not getting the proper power. If you can do so safely, please verify the voltages at each of the three pins of the white connector on the back of the charger. Remember line voltage is very dangerous (more so in Europe because the voltage is higher). Make your meter connections with the system un-plugged and then plug in the unit while your not touching it. Please post these voltages along with the reference (ground pin) you used.

2.) The chargers were damaged by a common cause. At any point have you connected the system to a generator or un-clean / un-regulated power? Did the unit have a severe impact? In your opinion is there any potential issue which could have damaged all three chargers?

For completeness you can remove the batteries and carefully measure the voltage of each. Measure diagonally between the two large pins...One will read 60-82V the other pair will be 0.

Craig
Craig Shaffer
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC

UrosPuc

Post by UrosPuc » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 am

We finally solved the problem - our stuff changed the ground and neutral line in the sockets, so the chargers were not getting the proper power. Now the RMP charging is working correctly.

I greatly appreciate the assistance you have provided me!

Uros