RMP X440 - No Aux Battery Info

RMP 210, 220, 440LE, 440SE, 440 Omni
AuxosCrew

RMP X440 - No Aux Battery Info

Post by AuxosCrew » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 pm

We have an RMP X440 with a 5th payload battery. I'm reading data from the Segway over the Ethernet connection using the provided example code. I can read battery status for the 4 powerbase batteries, but all of the auxiliary battery fields return zeros. First, am I reading the correct fields for the payload battery? I'm reading the "aux_batt_soc," "aux_batt_voltage_V", and "aux_batt_temp_degC" fields. Any ideas on why these values would return zeros?

Thanks,

David

sdnalloh

Re: RMP X440 - No Aux Battery Info

Post by sdnalloh » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:49 pm

David,

This can happen if there is no CAN communication between the ABB and the CCU. Is this a new development, or have these variables always been missing? Did you by chance open the User Interface Module recently?

AuxosCrew

Post by AuxosCrew » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:10 pm

We have had the unit for a while, but have only been set up in software to drive it. I've just recently added the ability to read data back from the unit so I'm not sure how long the problem might have existed. We have a fair amount of our own hardware installed in the enclosure. Is there a specific cable or connector I can check to make sure we haven't damaged the CAN bus lines between the two boards?

sdnalloh

Post by sdnalloh » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:54 pm

I have two things for you to check:

Option 1
Are you powering the RMP via the USB connection, rather than turning it on with the power switch? This can have the same result. The ABB does not fully initialize unless the power switch is in the ON position. Test this by flipping the power switch to ON (up). You should now see the Aux Battery data. This works even when already powered on via USB.

Option 2
If the above does not solve your problem, you can verify that the CAN harnesses are connected internally. As always, remove the batteries when working inside the enclosure. There is 72V DC power present on the ABB (underneath the CCU) even when powered off.

CAN communication occurs between the ABB and the CCU via two 3-wire harnesses that connect with 4-position molex connectors. On the CCU side the harness wires are purple, orange, and black and connect to J13. On the ABB side the harness wires are purple, blue, and black and connect to J3. Verify that these two harnesses are connected to each other.

Diagrams of the CCU and ABB are provided in the User Manual, in the Internal Connections chapter.

AuxosCrew

Post by AuxosCrew » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:50 pm

The cable to the ABB board had been disconnected. Reconnecting it fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.

David