Checking the battery status

RMP 50, 50XL, 100, 200, 400
Akin

Checking the battery status

Post by Akin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi,

I have an RMP 50XL with 2 battery packs and I would like to check the powerbase and UI batteries' status during operation.

The CAN packages 0x0406 contains the voltages of these two batteries, but I prefer to know as percentages.

Could you tell me how I can get/calculate thes values?

Thanks

ChrisC

Re: Checking the battery status

Post by ChrisC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 pm

From the RMP Interface Guide document for the RMP 50XL, In section 2.5.2 Monitoring Message Contents:

Data Slot 2 of CAN Message 8, 0x0407 contains the minimum battery state of charge.
The conversion factor for Minimum Battery State of Charge – 2.55 counts/percent (255 counts full range)

Does this help answer your question?

Thanks,
Chris

Akin

Post by Akin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Is the package 0x0407 for powerbase battery or auxiliary battery? In any case I need to know the status of both batteries.

Best

Akin

phussey

Post by phussey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I have added the auxiliary battery SOC, current, and status to the RMP50XL feedback structure for the new release. The package will be available tomorrow.
PATRICK HUSSEY
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC
www.stanleyinnovation.com

Akin

Post by Akin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi Patrick,

I applied the recent update to my platform. However the value of the Aux battery Voltage is quite off. After a full charge the last 2 bytes of the message 8 is 0xb908 which is roughly 44000 (it should be 0-255 if I understood correctly).

Aux battery status also reports a different value: 0x806d

I verified the build id to see if the update went correctly. Here is what the system reports:
Build id: 3051
Build date: 2322
Build time: 3864

Am I doing the wrong thing or the value is faulty?

Thank you

Akin

phussey

Post by phussey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Akin,

It looks like the aux battery CAN communication has not been started. Can you verify that the auxiliary battery is powered on? The light next to the toggle switch should be on when the aux battery communication board is powered and the battery is healthy.
PATRICK HUSSEY
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC

Akin

Post by Akin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes , when I did the tests the switch was on.

Akin

Post by Akin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 pm

I just changed the batteries to see if I will have the same behavior.

First I updated the platform using a windows 7 computer. Before windows 7 was not supported, but in the documents included with the latest update package it mentions Windows 7. So I installed the latest drivers to the machine. In the device manager Segway Centralized controller appeared with an exclamation mark. I updated it anyways, and it seems that the update passed.

Since I have this problem, then I used my Windows XP machine to update the platform. I followed the instructions of the latest update package, and updated the drivers. Again Segway Centralized controller appeared in the Device manager, but this time no exclamation mark. Then I updated the platform again.

But in the end I received the same kind of values. With the new batteries:

aux battery status: de22 and aux batt percentage:78fe

phussey

Post by phussey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Akin,

The issue is that the CU in the powerbase cannot establish CAN communication with the ABB.

When you connect USB, with the aux power switch on, do you see the "Segway RMP Auxiliary Battery Board" in the device manager? It should be connected via USB hub and you can talk to it as a virtual comm with the demo or your own program.

You should see it one of 2 places:
other devices or comm ports and lp

I will attach a zip file with the ABB documentation and the demo which you can connect via USB to see if the ABB is alive in the next post.
PATRICK HUSSEY
Principal Engineer

STANLEY INNOVATION, INC

Akin

Post by Akin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

No I don't see "Segway RMP Auxiliary Battery Board" in the device manager. I only have Segway Mobile Platform in USB controllers and Segway Centralized RMP Controller in other devices (for which it cannot find any drivers).